Why to ready?
More than 92% are failing in their first certification attempt, so do not over expect and be ready for the disappointment. However, to successfully clear the exam in your first attempt, below I have added my analysis on how you can prepare based on my first unsuccessful attempt experience.
- Are you eligible?
- Links provided by Magento
- How to start?
- Order to pick study material and topics to cover?
- Do’s and don’ts.
Are you eligible?
Years of working experience in M2 – This is inversely proportional to the efforts in terms of time requires for its preparation. Approximately 1.5 years of core module customization experience is must even if you have a vast experience in Magento1. When this is fulfilled approximately 100 hrs are needed for its preparation which will gradually increase or decrease based on which factor is missing.
Links provided by Magento
Read the following Magento2 official pages,
- MAGENTO 2 CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOP – official page
- DOWNLOAD A FREE MAGENTO STUDY GUIDE – Provided by Magento
- devdocs.magento.com – In-depth knowledge of each area
How to start?
- Figure out if you can give time for its preparation, 2hrs daily which will make you prepare for the exam in 1.5 months or when you finished with the study materials and other points listed in this article.
- Start by reading the OVERVIEW, ABOUT THE EXAM and PREREQUISITES AND RESOURCES as mentioned in MAGENTO 2 CERTIFIED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOP – official page
- Get the information like 60 total questions in the exam, 90 minutes to complete the exam, etc
- Download the study material from DOWNLOAD A FREE MAGENTO STUDY GUIDE – Provided by Magento
- For now, just overview this study material to get the knowledge on the Syllabus/Topics of the exam and the types of questions
- Weightage in % of each topic from which the questions will come in the exam
- Check the topics mentioned in devdocs.magento.com – In-depth knowledge on each area official Magento2 documentation page
- You don’t have to cover each topic, just those specific to Professional developer exam and as mentioned in “Order to pick study material and topics to cover?” below.
- Have a working Magento2 2.2.x setup installed in your machine for reviewing the code from the references mentioned in the documents and perform some practices.
Order to pick the study material and topics to cover?
- Practical examples: Start by doing the practice on each of the below-listed areas,
|Chapter 1 – Magento Architecture and Customization Techniques|
|Create a module with required files only|
|Create a custom API|
|Create a custom View Model|
|Create a custom console command|
|Create a custom cron job with custom cron group|
|Create custom event and observer|
|Create a plugin with different types and sort orders|
|Create different types of XML used in magento2|
|Create custom cache type|
|Add a new extension attribute|
|Add a proxy class|
|Check the factory implementation|
|Create a custom XSD|
|Check the website behavior in default, production and development mode|
|Implement the use of Virtual type|
|Chapter 2 – Request Flow Processing|
|Create a custom router|
|Create a custom Noroute|
|Chapter 3 – Customizing the Magento UI|
|Create a custom theme|
|Override a XML file|
|Override a template|
|Check the use of require-config.js|
|Check the use of mixins|
|Chapter 4 – Working with Databases in Magento|
|Create the API function getById,getList, save and delete|
|Modify the collection using SearchCriteria Builder|
|Create install, upgrade Data and Schema file for Setup|
|Chapter 5 – Using the Entity-Attribute-Value (EAV) Model|
|Create a product, customer and customer attributes|
|EAV frontend, backend, and source Model|
|Chapter 6 – Developing with Adminhtml|
|Check the use of ACL , what all can be controlled by ACL|
|Create a grid using UI component with inline editing|
|Create a form using UI component|
|Create a System.xml|
|Create a config.xml|
|Create a menu with acl|
|Chapter 7 – Customizing the Catalog|
|Create different types of products, check its inventory and add to cart pattern|
|Create a custom product type with a custom price model|
|Create a custom category|
|Create custom catalog price rule and check the price behavior on PDP|
|Create a mview.xml|
2) Now move to the devdocs.magento.com and cover the following topics,
- Setup: Configuration Guide
- Development: Backend: Architecture
- Development: Backend: PHP Developer Guide
- Development: Frontend: UI Component Guide
- Functional Area: Customize Checkout
- Functional Area: Inventory Management
- Functional Area: Payments Integrations
- Functional Area: Order Management System
3) Now move to the study material downloaded from decdocs.magento.com – In-depth knowledge on each area find out the answer to each question mentioned topic wise in this document.
Dos and don’ts.
- No overconfidence during, after the preparation and before the exam.
- Keep patience and give around 1.5 months from day 1 of starting the preparation.
- Try to give a mock test from the swiftotter site or any other available one to test your potential before you appear for the exam
Best of luck! For your exam.
Share your feedback and experience in the below comment.